Many countries are under total lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, including India. Yet, coronavirus cases continue to rise. As reported in The Hindu, COVID-19 cases in the country stood at 52,952 on 7th May. This deadly virus has already claimed 1,783 lives. Amidst this gripping panic, Director of AIIMS, Randeep Guleria stated that the cases are most likely going to peak between June and July.
Yes, the numbers and predictions are scary. But, all’s not lost. You can help control this pandemic from spreading further if you choose to stay home and ask your family and friends to do the same.
There are also certain precautions that you can take to keep your family and yourself safe. The majority of property builders and homeowners are already disinfecting and cleaning their buildings/homes to stay safe. Since the risk of transmission is greater through surfaces, the CDC (Centers for Disease Control) recommends that you regularly clean your house, even if you are not going anywhere.
Do you need help to ensure that you’re disinfecting and cleaning your home properly? Continue reading to find out the best possible ways to keep your home free of germs.
Expert advice: Before you start cleaning your house, make sure to wear disposable or reusable gloves and face masks.
First, make use of the right cleaning products
Germs are of different types and not all of them can be killed using the same cleaning product. For staying safe against the SARS-CoV-2 virus, you need to use the right disinfectant. You need the following:
- Disinfecting wipes, such as Lysol or Clorox
- Disinfectant sprays like, Lysol, Clorox or Purell
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Isopropyl alcohol
In case you do not have any of the above, you can frequently clean the most-touched surfaces in your home using a solution of water and soap. You can also use diluted bleach.
If you have run out of cleaning products and Spencer’s or BigBasket won’t deliver, you can make your cleaning solutions using this:
- Mix 4 cups of water with 1/3 cup of bleach, or
- 4 tablespoons of bleach mixed with 1-litre water, or
- Use solutions that have a minimum of 70% alcohol content
To be extra cautious, don’t rush with cleaning. Let the cleaning products stay for a while on the surfaces before you wipe it off.
Second, start cleaning different surfaces in your apartment or bungalow
- Floors – When cleaning floors in your 2 BHK or 3 BHK flat, ensure that you do not leave behind a lot of water. After you are done cleaning the floors, they should be dry. There shouldn’t be any damp corners so that the breeding of bacteria and viruses can be prevented.
- Surfaces of electrical appliances, metals and electronic devices – Such surfaces are not resistant to corrosion. This is why you need to wipe them down using a 75% or above alcohol prep pad. You can also use a disinfectant wipe. But, do not clean these surfaces for more than 10 minutes. Also, regularly clean your electronic devices as you must be using them the most during this lockdown.
- Cutlery and mugs – You can disinfect these by putting them in steam or boiling water for about 15 minutes after you have washed them. You can also use chlorine-containing disinfectant fluid for your cutlery and other sanitary ware.
- Clothes and bedding – You can continue cleaning them as you normally do. You let them dry outside so that they can soak the sun. Also, it is not likely that the virus will survive in the air without the presence of a living cell. Since there is outdoor air circulation, the virus wouldn’t accumulate on clothes and bedding during the drying process.
- Furniture and accessories – Cleaning furniture can be tricky. Here are a few helpful tips to get your furniture sparkling clean.
- Vacuum clean all the upholstered surfaces
- Make a homemade disinfectant mixture using water and Isopropyl alcohol, and spray this on the sofa, cushions, mattresses and other such surfaces that cannot be cleaned easily.
- Spray disinfectant on all pieces of furniture while holding the bottle six to eight inches away. Spray generously or until the pieces are covered in mist.
- There’s no need to clean the disinfectant from the furniture pieces. Let it dry on its own.
Additionally, you need to properly wipe the following surfaces with a disinfectant twice a day, if possible:
- Door knobs or door handles
- Security locks and keys
- Tabletops and dining table (since this is where you eat your meals)
Last, but not least, to make your home truly safe, you need to keep yourself clean and healthy. Here’s what you can do.
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water. Make sure to wash your hands for a minimum of 20 seconds.
- If you are away from water or need to urgently go outside to get groceries or pick up a delivery from Amazon, use hand sanitizer. Make sure that it is an alcohol-based sanitizer with more than 70% alcohol. Apply it generously, rub your palms together and let it dry.
- Nourish your body with immune-boosting food so that you are strong from within to fight coronavirus.
- Do not use your hands or at least, limit using them. Make use of your knuckle or elbow to push doors.
- Avoid touching your face at all costs. Even if you are not going out.
Nobody knows for sure when COVID-19 lockdown will be over. Even if the lockdown is lifted, there is no guarantee that life will return to normal. But, you can do your bit to flatten the curve by staying home. Make sure that you follow the above-mentioned tips and keep your condo, bungalow or 2/3BHK apartment clean and disinfected. This is the only precaution you can take to stay safe.